Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Trifles" by Susan Glaspell - Part 2

Typically, I am not a reader of fiction and so it would be safe to predict me not to pick up a drama while searching for my next great find at Barnes & Noble. In the past when I have attended a play, I assumed that the performance safely mirrored the playwright’s intention, with the exception of budget and acting skill. Never did I realize just how much interpretation could affect the outcome of the play… until our discussion on Trifle’s.

When asked to rewrite the play in modern day, I doubted myself and my submission before I even started blogging about it. There were many people who suggested that having a modern day chauvinist would not be likely or acceptable. I myself, felt as though there was more chauvinism in today’s society than should be ignored. But the deeper into this I dove, I began to feel as though either position standing their ground resembled the closed mindedness of the men and women in the play. Stereotyping the stereotype and not allowing it at all; or overstating the stereotype and shining a bright flood light over it were only 2 of the many perspectives that we witnessed come out of this drama in our class discussions.

I had to grow to become comfortable with my own interpretation of it as well as feel open to the many other sides that were suggested. I think it was great to see all of our creativity evolve in those of us who wished to explore it and appreciate everyone’s independent ideas as they made me realize that interpretation is much bigger than budgets and casting.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandra,
    I also had doubts about my rewrite, and went a few different ways with it. But, as I began to write, it started coming together.

    I have to say your posts and discussion messages inspired some of my work in the rewriting of "Trifles". I wanted to have a raw, almost out of place, sexism on the part of my two male characters who were police officers. I think this carries forward the same theme of the original while changing up the plot.

    Again, thank you for all of your feedback in this course. I have enjoyed reading your work.

    -AKA

    ReplyDelete