Sunday, June 21, 2009

"The Piano Lesson" by August Wilson

I am not at all familiar with reading drama and I did my best to picture the play on stage in my mind as I was reading this but I guess my mind is too conditioned to imagine real life taking place as I read fiction. I have a feeling adjusting to this is going to take some practice. One thing I noticed as I read was the tone of the characters; the intensity of their emotion was effectively expressed in my mind’s ear. The confrontation between Berniece and Boy Willie at the of the first act was very loud and emotional and when the scene ended, it took me a minute to acclimate to the abrupt silence.

I did have a tough time getting to know Doaker on a deeper level. I guess he would be considered a good supporting character because we are not as intimate with him as we are with Berniece and Boy Willie. This did disappoint me a little because the introduction to his insight through the poetic monologue expressing the metaphor of the train (p1214-15 and how people keep leaving where they are at to solve their problems. It was a surprise to see he had anything to say at all and I was hoping to see more “lessons” come from him. But he wasnt the only surprise lesson in this drama, Boy Willie's lesson to Berniece (1254-55) about how to believe and push through rang in my own life. And Wining Boy's lesson on how to appreciate what you've got while you have it (1221) was just as important. It was dramatic that the "misfits" of the play had any lessons to teach at all.

1 comment:

  1. I think that Doaker is supposed to be the kind of silent, but always there kind of person. He also came off to me as the person who did not show much emotion, and did not let many people in to show the true Doaker. I think it was probably a little hard for him.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete