Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Hamlet" by William Shakespeare

Though I read some Shakespeare in high school, this is the first time I have read him where I was the least bit interested (I know). I can say that the hint of understanding I gained from reading this has me hooked.

I loved the suspense of wondering if he was ever going to pull out his madness and when I found out it was in his plan to act so, I thought the way Shakespeare wrote him was incredibly eloquent. The monologue on pages 1362-63 stunned me. The shock he portrayed at how the actor could show so much emotion “For Hecuba!” and how he ached over how much more the actor would show had he been acting out the death of his father was very emotional. Shakespeare reached out to his audience at that time, relating to those who suffered far greater difficulties in real life. This moment was exemplified by the first part of Act III / Scene 2 where Hamlet gave an acting lesson to the actors (later taking over their lines on stage). He attempted to transcribe his emotions burried in his own heart from the pain of his father’s death through the actor. But how well did Hamlet speak the very things we wish we could say about our own angst, yet can not find the words? The play within the play was a great connection, once again, to the audience, made even more intense by Hamlet not trusting the actor to deliver his intensity as well as he could himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment